[development] Converting stories to pages

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Jan 2 14:22:03 UTC 2007

On 1/2/07, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> This thread reminds me of a recent post I made "Page vs Story - Again",
> I'm sure you all remember.  I still contend that Story should be off on
> a new install to prevent the newbie not understanding the difference
> from needing to do a conversion in the first place.  Statements were
> made that it had to do with workflow but a newbie doesn't realize how
> Drupal workflow works upon start.

But they will, with documentation and differing workflow options. Page
is not promoted, has comments disabled, and has revisions turned on by
default. Story is promoted to the front page, has comments turned on,
and no revisions.

> And worse, story isn't even listed
> in the modules for V5 to be turned on or off even though the node type
> can be deleted.  Ok, I know about the dynamic "Content Types" and I
> understand the reasoning behind it and the fact that modules need to
> create a content type but upon installation there isn't an example in
> V5 of a module that creates a content type.

Content types are used to describe any module which creates new node
types. Whether CCK-like story or page. Blog module "creates" a content
type on installation.

> IMO, Story needs to be a
> module inactive by default that users can activate once they learn what
> it can do for them.

Earnie: I have seen zero comments from you in the threads that I
repeatedly pointed to: http://drupal.org/node/104763

Story is NOT a module any longer -- in Drupal 5, we are in a
transition phase with CCK-like functionality in core. We've
streamlined the code that was almost a complete duplicate between Page
and Story and added more flexibility along with an upgrade path from
4.7. in Drupal 6, the removal of even more module node types is
possible -- e.g. blog and book are candidates here that have long been
talked about, and folks are already working on an outline module that
does book functionality.

Hope that helps. Use issues and patches if you want to help enact
change. Thanks,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747