[development] Hook ordering

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 11:24:56 UTC 2007

Scott,

Can you clarify a bit between why "callout" is ok but "callback" is
wrong.  I understand your remark about not passing a function pointer
into something to get called back (I'm an old C kernel device driver
programmer).  But if something in core is calling out to your
function, and your module somehow registered that such a function is
available, how is it not a callback?

If I'm confused here, and you didn't register the function (you passed
an object, so that seems like a positive registration action), but
core just looks for the function, then it sounds like a hook -- which
given other messages it seems like it is not.

Sorry if my density is getting the way of understanding here.  :-)

Thanks.

..chrisxj