[development] String freeze

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Jul 3 11:55:11 UTC 2007

Angela Byron wrote:
> Greg Knaddison just asked about this in IRC, and given D6's focus as
> "the i18n release," it's worth bringing this up, I think...
>
> Last release, we had a "string freeze" once we hit RC1. This meant that
> any clarifications/clean-ups/etc. to any user-facing text (help
> messages, form labels, etc.) were 'frozen' and couldn't be altered after
> RC1 was released, in order to give translators ample time to translate
> Drupal.
>
> a) Shall we go ahead and implement this policy again this release?

I think it would be great.

> b) Is RC1 enough time? If we set it at beta-2 or something would that
> allow us to include a few translations in Drupal core itself by RC1?

Unfortunately most Drupal core translations are not 100% complete, and
even when they technically look like being complete, the quality leaves
more to be desired. If you would find a low quality translation within
the Drupal package, would you associate this low quality perception to
the whole package? Do you have an idea on how the different languages
can be quality-assured/controlled?

Gabor