[development] Listen

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 3 19:12:07 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02 Jul 2007, at 21:05, Augustin (Beginner) wrote:
> > My main point is: please do listen to people who are better known
> > than I am,
> > when they talk about some overdue systemic changes.
>
> The main reason that keeps patches from getting committed faster is
> the lack of good reviews.  The main challenge is to increase the
> amount and the quality of patch reviews and to reduce the number of
> silly "+1"s.
>
> People posting a "+1" waste a lot of people's time -- it makes dozens
> of people recheck the issue, and it does not buy you any more respect
> or trust.  If we can stop posting "+1"s (or "subscribe"s for that
> matter), that would save me some time, it would increase the signal
> to noise ratio and it would avoid the false sense of support.

Dries

With all due respect to your point, the "+1 without a review" also has
value.
Obviously, it does not mean that the code is great, since a code review was
not done.

It does however adds a vote on the functionality from a high level,
regardless
of the implementation details. The person who needs this feature may not be
a coder, or they may be one, but have no time to review the code or test it.

So, I propose that people can say "+1 on the concept" or "+1 from a feature
point of view", making it clear that they did not review the code but
like/need
the feature. (and for those reading this, I can see a "if you care so much
then
why don't you review the code" comment coming. Remember that some people
just can't or are under time constraints or whatever).

Others (who can do code reviews) should take this as "one person sees this
as desirable", and take it on from there for ripping the code apart, or
having
it Morbused.

Of course, others who are against the feature can also say so, as we usually
see.
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com