[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 21 12:50:07 UTC 2007

Quoting Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com>:

> Mark my words: a PHP5-only Drupal 7 will leave many, many Drupal
> users behind.

There will always be those that get left behind; that is even true if
you stay with PHP4.  They can always use an older version or the
services of others to upgrade.  Only weeks ago I would have joined you
in your caution but I believe that the only way out of the whirlwind is
to take a different path and the pavement is being laid.  Now is the
time to jump on the bandwagon driving down the new laid pavement.  PHP
6 will be out soon enough and we're still toying with PHP 4.  Go PHP 5,
Go!

Why are there always those that are left behind?  One reason is fear.
People are of afraid of change and what it might mean to them doing
things differently or seeing things with a different view.  Another
reason is laziness.  People setup the product and just don't want to be
bothered with changing it.  They like the way it is and just don't want
to spend time upgrading.  There are probably other reasons but as I see
it, these are the top two.

Earnie