[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 21 14:24:19 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 Jun 2007, at 12:19, Robert Douglass wrote:
> > This is not the time to be timid. We as developers know deep in our
> > hearts that PHP5 is the best thing for Drupal. The amazing
> > resonance that Larry and I have been receiving from the developers
> > on other projects shows that we're not alone in thinking this.
>
> I'm playing devil's advocate to make sure that we're all on the same
> page, and that we understand the consequences of this bet.  We're
> putting a lot at risk here.
>
> Mark my words: a PHP5-only Drupal 7 will leave many, many Drupal
> users behind.

Dries is making the same point I made here:
http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2007-June/024609.html

We have to be aware that this is a gamble (with a good cause, good
results, and good chance of success).

However, what if the world stays back? Just think of it and what the
impact is if that (hopefully unlikely) situation arises.
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com