[development] Google Gears

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Thu May 31 16:36:51 UTC 2007

With the advent of Google Maps I was very hesitant to use them or
recommend that others use them.  Essentially because I was really afraid
about where Google was going with this.  Of course my fears have been
meaningless and ignored by Google and practically everyone else in the
computing world and Google maps are becoming ubiquitous.  My point is at
that I'm starting to think "if you can't beat them, join them".  In my
view we are headed into a brave new world.  Led, for better or worse, by
Google.  The rate of change they are pushing is mind boggling.  I have
wondered for a long time whether they could keep it up - but it seems
clear that they are accelerating and deepening.

In my view core Drupal needs to "play nice" with google stuff (as well
as others).  The world is changing.  2-3 years from now the way people
use the Web will look different from what it does now.  Very different.
People will use Drupal if it is relevant to them.

Dan