[development] Coder - It's a Community Tool

Doug Green douggreen at douggreenconsulting.com
Tue Nov 6 14:01:46 UTC 2007

I started this email to make one point, which is, at the end of this
email, but it occurred to me that there are more important coder issues
to bring up.

1.  I'm seeking a co-maintainer for the coder module.  You should have
some Drupal credentials...

2.  Help define the future of coder?
- I've been asked to run some rules on cvs ci
- good idea/bad idea?
- should coder be an authoritative tool verses a helper tool (i.e.,
prevent code checkins on certain types of failures)
- other ideas (... hopefully your idea comes with coding keyboard ;)

3.  A developer recently suggested that they would change their module
just to remove a coder warning, even though they knew the warning to be
bogus.  IMO, this is a mistake.  You are smarter than coder.  Coder is
just a tool to help you.  It flags potential problems and points you to
the documentation.  It's up to you to decide if there's really a
problem. If it's a security related issue, you should look at it very
closely and be absolutely certain before you ignore the warning, but the
decision is still yours.  Please don't change your code just to get rid
of a coder warning.

--
Doug Green
douggreen at douggreenconsulting.com
904-583-3342

Bringing Ideas to Life with Software Artistry and Invention...