[development] New core install profiles for D6? (was Re: Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina)

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Nov 13 19:06:52 UTC 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> I don't mind having two or three profiles ship with Drupal core.

To clarify, you mean some install profiles that ship with core *which
only include core modules*, right?  So, there's no packaging issue at
all, since these profiles cannot have any external dependencies at
all.  Their only job is to enable/configure core modules and
potentially generate some initial content...

I just want everyone to be clear so that if someone starts working on
these, there's no surprises about what's expected/allowed.

I'm clarifying, because I'm soon going to start work to enable
contrib install profiles to tell the packaging script what versions
of which contribs those profiles depend on, so all of the above can
be packaged together (along with core) into a single tarball.  That's
a much different (and bigger) problem, than what Dries is talking
about allowing for D6, since the core install profiles only touch
core, and are therefore already packaged with everything they need. ;)

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)