[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Nov 29 02:03:16 UTC 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 5:48 AM, Chris Johnson <cxjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I were able to devote more time to just testing Drupal for the sake
> of testing it and with no further purpose, I could and would use
> Postgres more of the time.  But even then -- if my goal were to test
> the new menu code, I'd want to eliminate any other possible error
> causing sources, such as using Postgres.
>
> So unless we actually push the issue of supporting multiple databases
> as a community, the vast majority of developers will never make the
> effort.  And with each passing release spent in that mode, the harder
> it will become to reverse it.  We will end up supporting only one
> database, MySQL, de facto.

Very good post Chris.

This is exactly the problem: those who use Drupal on PostgreSQL must
be the ones who would resolve the SQL differences, test and debug patches,
...etc.

They are the ones that have a vested interest in it more than the rest
of us. All of us want a cross platform cross database CMS, but the testing
work must be done by those who use PostgreSQL.

The rest of us have no time or resources to dedicate for something we
will not directly use.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com