[development] What's a critical issue

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Oct 19 17:10:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:24:56 -0400
Sean Robertson <seanr at ngpsoftware.com> wrote:

> Any idea what's behind that?  I truly can't imagine ever hosting
> any of my sites on Windows - in my experience it's been an unstable
> bloated piece of crap.  I used to work for an ISP that had about
> half Windows servers and half Unix and we had unix servers that had
> uptimes of over a year, but the Windows servers were lucky if they
> managed to stay up for more than a month.

I've been administering Windows servers and it is not that terrible.
If Windows didn't insist on rebooting after most upgrade I would have
had pretty high uptimes.
I didn't have a chance to administer W2003 and it should be better.
I still find it a PITA to administer remotely but they added a quite
powerful shell to W2003. I don't know if they have anything
resembling ssh... but now you can have pretty cheap VPN setup.
.NET, C# and their JIT is not bad at all and at my knowledge there
aren't mature VM for php, python, ruby.

Part of the loss in market share is due to Google.
Part is due to MSN Live.

Anyway there is a part that is net loss and I've the same question.
Why are they switching?
Part could be availability of programmers as it was with VB.

I don't think keep on feeling on the Olympus is a good attitude.
I've no competence to help the Apache HTTP project.

BTW I've no sympathy for Windows...

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:50:20 +0100
"Fernando Silva" <fsilva.pt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Linux + OpenLDAP + Apache + (Exim or Postfix) = hmmmm how much? and
> with what integration?

While they may have less integration out of the box I think you can
install LAMP in a much more streamline way.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it