[development] What's a critical issue

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Oct 19 18:15:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:45:26 -0500
Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> It's probably a small number of large server farms.  When one of
> the cybersquatter companies switched their farm from Linux/Apache
> to Windows/IIS, there was a notable dip from just that one farm.
> Of course, no one was actually running a real web site on that
> farm, so it had no impact on us, just on PHBs who don't know how to
> read statistics with a critical eye. :-)

Percentage of *active* sites doesn't say that.
They are actually switching web sites.
As said, and as you can read on netcraft
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/10/11/october_2007_web_server_survey.html
without my filter moves where due to:

- large ISP changing platform
- MSN Live growing faster than blogging services provided by Google
- Google "custom" web servers eroding Apache share

Unless MS is sponsoring those large ISP switch they should have some
other form of return if they switched.

If you want to have a more detailed picture I'd suggest you read
netcraft comments on each report in the past 2 years.

It is surprising that google alone is responsible for more than 9%
active websites but even if you sum up google and Apache... there is
still a net increase in IIS usage.

I won't underestimate the technical quality of .NET JIT, VM and IIS
and the number of MS programmers around.

But still questioning what's the reason.

For me svn, ssh, grep, sed still make a huge difference but... maybe
I'm just an asshole and they have great tools I don't know... or
maybe it is the new wave of VB programmers as there was the wave of
PHP programmers.

I'd love to see a mature VM with JIT for python or ruby and some
framework a little bit humbler than Rails. Django, TurboGears,
CherryPy?

And why not a more OO PHP with a more mature VM and JIT?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it