[development] New advanced help module

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Mon Apr 21 08:36:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Daniel F. Kudwien
<news at unleashedmind.com> wrote:
> > Well, I think Jose refers to those developers "out there",
>  > who might develop custom modules for local (non-English
>  > sites), and might not want / be able to write English help
>  > pages. Hacking in empty base files for English might not be a
>  > good option.
>  >
>  > Gabor
>
>  Isn't this an edge-case?  Even if my primary language is German, I will
>  write the module documentation in English first.  By doing that module
>  developers ensure that a module (including its documentation) is actually
>  usable for all Drupal users, speaking all kind of different languages.
>  Also, by doing that I often determine phrases that may be hard to translate
>  into other languages, including German.

Well, I did write some modules in Hungarian only (ie. drupal.hu's site
showcase gallery module). This did not let me to share the module
straight away with the Dutch/Belgian Drupal community site builders,
who requested it (although they took it in Hungarian anyway, and we
will see how usable it is for them that way). Anyway, it is all to
easy to be short-sighted with languages, it could easily be that the
developer writing the module would write horrible English, and you are
better off not requiring that as a non-English Drupal shop. It
admittedly also cuts costs. Think of internal development for clients
not development for the community. Admit it or not, lots of people
don't participate in the community, but just take what they can get
(and then others tend to be lazy as my example shows).

Gabor