[development] Seeking help internationalizing Views (and Panels and maybe other modules for D6)

Jose A. Reyero drupal at reyero.net
Sat Apr 26 18:34:44 UTC 2008

Daniel F. Kudwien wrote:
>>> About the translation UI you may think also of a specially
>>>
>> suited one
>>
>>> for views, but as I mention above the problem most usually
>>>
>> is to have
>>
>>> a generic one for all translations. Also to keep in mind,
>>>
>> translators
>>
>>> are not necessarily tech savvy people so any UI needing
>>>
>> admin access
>>
>>> to translate strings has some fundamental problem. However, we can
>>> also build an object UI on top of the single strings one (So the
>>> single site-admin-developer-I-just-want-my-site-in-two-languages is
>>> happy too)
>>>
>> It's not so much that this is specially suited for Views so
>> much as I'm trying to set up something that works for lots
>> and lots of things and is able to take into account the
>> flexibility needed. The translator shouldn't actually see
>> what's going on; but instead be presented with a list of all
>> current, known translatable strings for a given object, and
>> highlights for which of them have changed since last time.
>>

> I have to disagree here.  Most of the translators I had to deal with in the
> past always asked first: "What's the context?" or "Where does this appear?"
> Locale's/Translation's interface for adding/editing translations is
> currently built for developers/advanced Drupal users, not translators.
> Developers speak programming languages.  I guess only a minority of
> developers can speak additional languages and have also skills of real
> translators.
>
> To translate a content correctly, translators are more comfortable with the
> approach taken by #translatable.  They see the original form and thus, have
> an idea of how all strings and contents of an object relate.  #translatable
> stores the translations and does not alter the original data.

I think: yes and no.

Sure people wants to see the context. The context though, for a non tech
user is a web page on your site and that's it.

          See string on (page) context ---> Translate string

          (If using l10n client, can be done on the same page)

As oppossed to

          See the string on the site ---> Si what is it? Is it a view?
---> So which view is it? ( Find view)  -->
                Find string on view -- > (Oh, fuck, not here, it was not
a view) --> Ask the admin --->
                   --> So the admin says it is a block. ---> Wtf is a