[development] Seeking help internationalizing Views (and Panels and maybe other modules for D6)

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Apr 27 12:15:27 UTC 2008

On Saturday, 26. April 2008, Jose A. Reyero wrote:
> Daniel F. Kudwien wrote:
> > To translate a content correctly, translators are more comfortable with
> > the approach taken by #translatable.  They see the original form and
> > thus, have an idea of how all strings and contents of an object relate.
> > #translatable stores the translations and does not alter the original
> > data.
>
> I think: yes and no.
[snip]

KDE's i18n() function (same as t() for Drupal) has an optional "context"
parameter that the developer specifies in order to help the translators out.
(That context later appears as comment in the .pot file, I believe.)

Maybe it would be an option to include something like this in some way, in
order to provide an actual middle ground between "no UI-related context in
the .pot file" and "no code-related context in the UI string".