[development] What about reviewing patches?

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Thu Aug 14 20:08:49 UTC 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:48 PM, Charlie Gordon wrote:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> So is it being run by hand?  I set at http://testing.drupal.org/
>> tests text like "1 hour 27 min ago" under the "Submitted" column.
>
> But, how many contributed modules actually have their own tests
> written? No more than 10-20, certainly, which is a very small
> percentage. The workflow here needs to be more thought out; in
> addition, it's not all that reasonable to have a server running
> automated tests for almost 3000 contributed modules, not to mention
> different core versions, module dependencies, etc.
>
> -Charlie

Yes. Chicken and egg. If the test results were being posted back to
d.o. it would encourage people to write more tests, especially if
projects with no tests got a big "Testing status: FAIL" all over them.

I think it is unreasonable NOT to have as many servers as are needed,
running all tests for all module, all day, 24/7. We're no longer
talking about an ecosystem financed by milk money. Getting iron isn't
the problem.

Someone please write a proposal to the Drupal Association in time for
the next board meeting that the complete testing infrastructure and
development resources should be financed. Or, alternatively, some
Drupal shop out there with the capacity to make this happen step
forward.

We've invested a lot into testing, and it is clear that it can have a
positive influence on the commit process (for core and contrib), so
let's not settle for a single or a double. To hit a home run we need
the testing infrastructure.