[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Feb 19 17:16:10 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:

> drush pm install panels

Right.  Drupal can't have its cake and eat it too.  Everyone wants
painless (even automatic, but I would never support that) upgrades
for Drupal.  The *only* way that's going to work long term is if
contrib maintainers start doing more responsible release management.
Which is why everyone should attend my talk at DrupalCon about this:

http://boston2008.drupalcon.org/session/how-effectively-maintain-and-
release-your-drupal-contributions

The premise of my talk is that assuming you spend the 1.5 hours to
attend (or listen remotely if you can't be there in person), you'll
come away *understanding* the process and the tools available to you
to help.  At that point, it will *save* you time if you start Doing
It Right(tm).

All talk of cathedral vs. bazaar, and definitely of the GPL, is
completely orthogonal to this discussion and thread.  None of this
has anything to do with any of that (take it from me, a long-haired
commie pinko).  This is just a simple question of how not to make
life miserable for the people trying to use your code.

The starting point for my talk is basically this:

a) As a contributor, no one forces you to do anything (scratch own
itch).
b) Drupal loves it when you contribute your code back to d.o.
c) Once you contribute your code upstream, you're saying other people
should use it, and *at that point* you start to have some
responsibility to your users.

Anyway, please come to the talk. ;)

Oh, and everyone interested in the quality metrics stuff should come
to the d.o redesign panel:

http://boston2008.drupalcon.org/session/drupalorg-redesign-panel

In fact, we should probably schedule a whole boaf session about
that.  I don't know if anyone did that already...

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)