[development] So why we do support postgresql?

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Sat Jan 19 22:13:01 UTC 2008

On sam, 2008-01-19 at 16:14 -0500, Andrew ft wrote:
> The parallel with the MySQL/Postgres debate is clear, and the
> arguments are identical.

And so what? Are we supposed to start a flame war now?
Sorry, I don't have enough energy for such a discussion.

Working in team during a long time is important in a free software
project. I am new here, so I wron't say. Give me a few weeks to lear the
code, then we can  discuss about your questions. But just a few words:

PostgreSQL is an SQL99 reference database. When you develop SQL code for
PostgreSQL, you can silently run the code under any database.

On the converse, when designing SQL for a non-standard database,
you are more likely to loose time.

Besides, to be more positive, I wrote part of pgAdmin 1&2 PostgreSQL
client for PostgreSQL. Now pgAdmin 3 is available and is developped by a
team. It did not write a single line in version 3. But try to use it. It
may change your mind about PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL is a real community of very pleasant people. We are not a
company, but a real team. Posting against PostgreSQL will certainly
attract hundreds of PostgreSQL developers. Is that you silent dream?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré