[development] So why we do support postgresql?

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Mon Jan 21 12:42:09 UTC 2008

Dear friends,

> That is all well and good from "it runs" ( i.e. unit testing,
> functionality is OK),
> but when you try to optimize for large datasets or complex queries,
> you often
> have to do things that are database engine specific.
>
> This is a classic clash been theory and reality.

Sorry, not my opinion.
MySQL employs non-standard SQL queries.

If the code was written primarily for PostgreSQL using tables,
standard sql queries and views, it would run smoothly on MySQL and most
databases like Oracle and DB2.

This is because PostgreSQL is the standard SQL99 implementation.
Very few things differ in PostgreSQL.

The converse is not true.

> The bottleneck is how many developers know PostgreSQL AND care
> about Drupal using PostgreSQL, and willing to put in the effort to
> keep
> in tandem with MySQL so PostgreSQL does not lag behind.

I recommand using pgAdmin III graphical client, which is the standard
graphical interface for PostgreSQL.

Also, log and analyse all SQL queries and plans.

Like in my HOWTO : PostgreSQL query optimisation =>
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29292

It is pretty hard against MySQL. Sorry, this is the opinion of most
people designing databases. I may change my opinion when a better
transactional support is added with better SQL99 suppport.

Besides, I find Drupal sometimes slow on my testing installation. I will
try to debug SQL queries written for MySQL and will report them back.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel