[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 11:04:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter
<gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Derek Wright schrieb:
>> B) Who's the "we" who makes this decision?
>
> The drupal.org infratructure team based on the input of the developer
> community.

This is the kind of answer I expected to be provided, but I think it's
way to vague.  Who is the drupal.org infrastructure team?  People with
accounts on infrastructure.drupal.org?  People with some kind of shell
access to the drupal.org infrastructure?  If either of these were the
actual criteria, then I would not be considered to be on the team, yet
in my own mind I do consider myself part of the team.

How would the team go about this decision?  A simple vote?  Does the
majority rule, or does it need to be unanimous?

I know that the drupal community itself is quite decentralized, and
that we probably don't have answers to a lot of the questions above,
maybe because such things haven't come up before.  But, in my opinion,
this decentralization makes it hard to get a lot of things done, since
it's never clear who would make the decision and how.  The drupal.org
redesign is, from my perspective, caught in a similar situation.

Even if the answer of "who makes the decision to switch to a new RCS"
was "Gerhard Killesreiter", at least it would be more clear what needs
to be done to switch.  As is, I still think it's totally unclear.

Adam