[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Lyle Mantooth lyle at ubercart.org
Thu Jul 31 18:27:05 UTC 2008

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> The hardship people tend to have with CVS is understanding the meaning
> of branch and release tags.  However, Drupal has well defined meanings
> for those and the release tools and documentation handle them well.
>
> Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
> -- http://give-me-an-offer.com/

For me, the problem isn't understanding the concept of a branches and
tags, but getting CVS to tell me the reality of those branches and tags.
Maybe I just haven't learned how to use the tool properly, but I am
constantly worried that I've crossed branches and tagged the wrong
files. I know what I should do, but I don't know if that's what I did.

I feel like I've learned the concepts of VCS much easier with Bazaar
than I ever would have with CVS. That's mostly because I actually felt
comfortable using it.

--Lyle