[development] Code freeze?

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Thu Jun 26 10:48:31 UTC 2008

> If people are supportive to the idea of pushing back the code freeze
> date, I'll write up an announcement.

http://buytaert.net/drupal-7-timeline has a later November 15, 2008 freeze date if we are doing good in testing. We do! And during DrupalCon http://szeged2008.drupalcon.org/sessions/testing-part-2-awesome-testing-party we shall have a testing writing party for more awesomeness.

However, I would like to suggest an even later freeze. The need for supporting Drupal 5 longer than usual has been raised and it would be a simple solution if we simply would push the projected release to next summer. There is no rush: Drupal 5 and Drupal 6 are fine releases, much more so than anything before, they perfectly can carry the Druplicon flag proudly for another year. This was less so with earlier releases, unlike with previous Drupals I feel no pressing need of dropping support as soon as feasible. While one could say this is just hubris on my side because I am more deeply involved with these releases, I hope this is not so, my involvement in Drupal 4.7 was also quite significant (I think more so than Drupal 5) and yet I was very happy when the support for that got dropped...

I recommend adding some usability enhancements to Drupal 6 meanwhile. It can be said that some of these are bugfixes, as in, UI bugs :) and the usual argument against backports is that people will be less eager to up to the next release -- I would like to see Drupal 7 be so much faster (because so much less code is loaded) that people will rush to it.

Regards

Karoly Negyesi