[development] reverse selection of node types is clumsy

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Mar 8 20:15:14 UTC 2008

On Saturday 08 March 2008, Derek Wright wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Dave Fletcher wrote:
> > Abolishing inverse selections altogether is preferable, but not
> > very enforcible in third party modules.
>
> <advocate class="devil">
>
> Consider the case of OG, where you're using it to restrict access to
> data on your site.  It's a pain (and potential security problem) in
> the other direction, if you have to remember to privacy-enable all
> new content types as you add them, instead of having everything
> private by default until you exclude it from the privacy system.
>
> </advocate>
>
> Granted, this is a somewhat obscure case, and it's probably best to
> optimize the UI for the common case. But, this is probably what Moshe
> was thinking when he set it up like this in the first place.  Food
> for thought...
>
> -Derek (dww)

That's true if you want to build an entirely-OG site.  If you want to
OG-enable just part of your site, for selected node types, then it becomes a
liability, not a feature.

I can't speak for Moshe or what was going through his head when, but I'd love
to see OG's permission interface be opt-in.  I've watched new colleagues of
mine get confused by it on their first OG project, as it is essentially a
double-negative.

(Not to pick on OG here; it's just OG and Comment are the two most obvious
examples I know of.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012