[development] releases, recommended/supported changing automatically on release creation...

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 11 11:37:55 UTC 2008

Quoting Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com>:

> Derek Wright wrote:
>>
>> Trying to balance the entire development community's conflicting
>> requests is completely impossible.  I'm already at the verge of
>> snapping and running away screaming.  Some people think it's too
>> complicated and confusing.  Others say it's overly simplified and
>> not powerful enough.  Everyone has their own opinions about the
>> terminology.  I can probably count on 1 hand the number of people
>> who have seriously contributed towards this system (Earl being one
>> of them, mind you).  I could probably fill an auditorium with the
>> number of people who've complained after the fact about some aspect
>> of it.
>>

> Sorry, this isn't an after-the-fact complaint (tho I did object when
> this went in, and I was a lone voice and so let it pass) it's an
> explanation provided for someone who mentioned something. I do in
> fact do pretty much what you suggest here; and I'm very careful about
> API changes in the 1.X branch. In fact, in my own personal world, the
> API is pretty much what controls the major release #, but I realize
> that *most* projects don't have that as an issue.

For a new module I'm developing I'm thinking of adapting something like
even/odd major declarations where even (beginning with zero) is
development and odd is the released module.  This is easily explained
and allows for development apart from releases.  Once 0.x is released
as 1.0 I also create a 2.x branch for enhancements and use the 0.x
branch for bug fixes and security patches to the 1.0 which are released
incrementally as 1.1, etc.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/