[development] User last access

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 2 21:13:08 UTC 2008

Quoting Hans Salvisberg <drupal at salvisberg.com>:

> Earnie
>
> Indeed, this is an incredible bug. For example if you have a spammer
> and you block him, then you'll trash "last access" — it'll show the
> time when you blocked him instead of when he last accessed...
>
> Or when an administrator creates a user, the user's "last access" is
> immediately set. There's no reasonable way anymore to list those
> users who have never accessed the site. "Never" is immediately
> trashed, as you've found out.
>
> There are people who think it should work that way for dubious
> reasons, who have managed to introduce this misbehavior into D5 and
> D6, and they won't even acknowledge that it's a bug!

Columns like user.access that are meant to be used for statistical data
should not be destroyed by my updating the user.  The user never logged
in, the user is not active, the user was either created by 'administer
user' or updated by 'administer user' and nothing more.  The patch at
node/171117 needs to be backed out of at least D-5 while we look for
alternatives in 6 and 7.  I've commented on both nodes.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/