[development] User last access

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Fri May 2 23:13:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Earnie Boyd
<earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>  You mean
>  <?php
>    // Consider users edited by an administrator as logged in, if they
> haven't
>    // already, so anonymous users can view the profile (if allowed).
>    if (empty($array['access']) && empty($account->access) &&
> user_access('administer users')) {
>      $array['access'] = time();
>    }
>  ?>
>
>  I don't understand the logic of the comment.  The same logic exists for the
> create.  I'll do some more research.  My awe with the comment is; why do I
> want to destroy the statistical data when I do an administrative update just
> so someone I don't know can view the profile if they even have permission to
> do so?  And the same doesn't happen if the user registers himself.  My
> inclination is to just remove this since I consider it silly but I'll do
> some more research.

Users who register themselves and never log in should not have public
user pages created since they are empty, useless, and possibly
contains spam. Admins can view those user pages.

This would be confusing for admins creating users. When admins do
things, stuff should happen, those users need to show up.

The way we store this is by overriding the access time. Users creating
their account get a time of 0, which means the account registration is
not finished and the user page does not go live. Admins creating
accounts get a timestamp.

A couple options:
* Make admin-created users get a access time bump, but not admin-edited
* Remove the column overriding and make an is_active column or
somesuch. Bonus points for merging with the status column.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com