[development] Slow down with the official releases of contribalready, ok? ; )

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 26 17:09:57 UTC 2008

Quoting Nancy Wichmann <nan_wich at bellsouth.net>:

> dww wrote:
> "I've noticed quite a few projects that seem to think the best time to
> make a new official release is after every CVS commit.  While I'm
> happy to see people actually making official releases, please don't
> do this."

Shouldn't this be tempered with the frequency of changes?

> Well, I am one of the ones who likes to roll up several changes at once, so
> I use -dev releases in between.

This is also tempered with the frequency of changes, correct?

> However, one thing that I've had several users tell me is that the big red
> "X" scares them and they think a -dev release is poison. I figured it would
> happen like this - and it has.

Bug fixes are one thing while feature enhancements are another.  More
documentation on the project page will help your users feel comfortable
with the -dev package.  State exactly the differences and how you feel
it works.

> Perhaps a red background and a big red "X" are too scary and should be toned
> down.

Again more documentation on the project page is a must.  Say exactly
what is known to work and what is known not to work.  That will help
tone down the "big red "X"".

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/