[development] Slow down with the official releasesof contribalready, ok? ; )

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 26 21:05:50 UTC 2008

Quoting Nancy Wichmann <nan_wich at bellsouth.net>:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> This is also tempered with the frequency of changes, correct?
> Of course. Also the types of changes.
>
>> Bug fixes are one thing while feature enhancements are another.  More
>> documentation on the project page will help your users feel comfortable
>> with the -dev package.  State exactly the differences and how you feel
>> it works.
> It doesn't seem to matter all that much. I've had occasion to ask a specific
> user to test out the -dev version and they've been scared to to do that.

Testing -dev in development is one thing.  Testing -dev in production
is something else.  Scared here has the impression that the user
doesn't want to screw with production and perhaps doesn't have a
development staging environment.  Some users just need more hand
holding.

>>> Perhaps a red background and a big red "X" are too scary and should be
> toned down.
>> Again more documentation on the project page is a must.  Say exactly
>> what is known to work and what is known not to work.  That will help
>> tone down the "big red "X"".
> I don't put it out if I haven't tested it and had it work for me. So
> everything works. I have had very few occasions where I do state that
> something will be changed in release xxx.

Well the -dev is meant to be a holding place for potentially
underdeveloped code.  It is the reason for the "big red "X"" and if
you're using it otherwise then you tend to be on the losing side; an
experience I've known well with an SF project I help manage.  With
Drupal projects I will at times upload changes to CVS regardless of the
functioning so that I can work from more than one computer.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/