[development] Slow down with the official releasesof contribalready, ok? ; )

Michael Prasuhn mike at mikeyp.net
Mon May 26 21:16:55 UTC 2008

Just to point out another small issue I've noticed, is that it's not
wise for maintainers to give in to pressure to make releases for users
bug fix and feature requests. I've seen this often, where a user finds
a bug submits a patch, or it's fixed by the maintainer, and the
maintainer suggests, in the queue, that the user download the -dev and
test to see if the issue is resolved. This would work great if some
users followed the queue and tested the contrib modules which get new
features in -dev and then report back. However many users don't
consider this to be important, and won't upgrade to a -dev because
they don't want to test, don't want to spend the time upgrading, or
don't want to upgrade from a stable to a -dev, or -dev to a -dev. So
the maintainer makes a release, maybe tags it beta, and lets update
status tell their users to upgrade, and then they wait to see what
issues pop up.

I hate to say it, but I think I may have related the frequency of
contrib releases to a lack of testing.

-Mike

Michael Prasuhn
mike at mikeyp.net