[development] development, staging, production

Alex Barth alex at developmentseed.org
Thu Dec 24 15:05:19 UTC 2009

We here at Development Seed capture all configuration (Views, content
types, variables) in code using Features and Strongarm. Once its in
code you can version control it. Pushing code between dev/staging/
prod. is a non-issue.

This approach accounts for 99% of configuration tasks - our roll out
check lists when pushing live got very short. Of course, content
staging is not covered by this approach, but we rarely face such a
requirement.

Alex

On Dec 24, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Ashraf Amayreh wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently working with a company that's aiming to convert
> their .NET portal to Drupal (yes, good luck to me on migration
> strategy!), the portal gets nearly 30 million page views per month.
> I've done a lot of reading about development->staging->production
> scenarios, looked at a lot of modules like Drush, Aegir, etc but I
> want to see where efforts have reached regarding this issue and
> possibly join forces with others. There are more than ten developers/
> themers working on the portal.
>
> What reads/modules do you recommend? How are people managing this
> difficult task? Have we gotten to a stage where no downtime in the
> production server is possible in the process?
>
> Also, I like to learn from others, how does ROR handle this? How do
> other systems handle this? Any one out there to share his experience?
>
> --
> Ashraf Amayreh
> http://aamayreh.org

Alex Barth