[development] development, staging, production

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 16:04:02 UTC 2009

The "no downtime" issue is a tough one, as the push-everything-to-code
approach requires very small periods of update lag.  It also doesn't
(so far as I know) allow for reverse workflows of
production->staging->development. And as Alex mentioned, it can't
handle content staging.

Another issue to consider is "who is pushing the changes." A
put-everything-in-code approach works great for engineers, sysadmins,
and command-line junkies. But for normal users, it's not really an
option.

Greg Dunlap (heyrocker) and team are doing great things with Deploy
[1] and Services [2] modules, which allows for real-time two-way
communication between multiple servers. See [3] for some details.

The major difference is that Deploy is a UI-based tool that site
within Drupal's admin interface, and allows editors to control change
management. It handles most configuration tasks and most types of
content, and is an extensible system built on a solid API.

For ForeignAffairs.com, we have a system in place that never requires
editors to log in to the live site. You can read about at [4] under
'technical details.' Essentially, they are able to test new features
in dev, manage content in staging (including review of user-submitted
content), and then push changes to live.

Down the road, I'd love to see Services / Features / Strongarm /
Exportables / Deploy merge into one big system for change management
through the UI _and_ the CLI.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/deploy
[2] http://drupal.org/project/services
[3] http://www.palantir.net/blog/bringing-deployment-capability-drupal