[development] Back to Curl-based content generation

Craig Forbes cpforbes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:28:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:47 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> - (almost) the only solution I am interested into is how to add new
>  content remotely, when I cannot alter in any way the configuration
>  of the server where Drupal runs.

Given the constraint that you cannot modify the server, it seems to me
that the only way to do this is to mimic a user session via a client
script.

If you are only adding node then this shouldn't be too hard but it
will take several requests and cookie management on the client.

The session would look something like:

POST login request
POST node form submission
(repeat node form POST for each node to be created)

If you need to modify or delete nodes it becomes quite a bit harder
since you will need to find the right node to modify before posting.

Personally I would use perl on the client side if I had to do this
since the client side tools are richer for perl than php.

Now if I had the ability to alter the drupal installation I would use
the services module and xmlrpc calls to get the data into drupal.  I
would still use perl for the xmlrpc client.

-Craig