[development] Query about new page

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jul 31 15:10:47 UTC 2009

Drupal is a content management system. Any piece of content (node) is stored
in the database, because it is created by someone who has certain
permission, created on a certain date, can have comments, votes, points,
...etc. Can be organized in taxonomy, book, and the like.

You are better off converting the .php file that you talk about into a
Drupal module (.info and .module at a minimum), and having a hook_menu for
it to be called as a path, so instead of example.com/something.php, it would
only be example.com/something.

If you insist on having external PHP, it is best to bootstrap Drupal in them
and then use Drupal's API normally afterwards, so something.php will be
like:

<?php
require_once './includes/bootstrap.inc';
drupal_bootstrap(DRUPAL_BOOTSTRAP_FULL);

// your code here
?>

Having said that, if you have more than a few of these, or worse, you plan
to have a lot of HTML markup in them, then you are doing something wrong,
and not using Drupal correctly.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.