[development] Wasting time and effort

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon Mar 9 20:34:40 UTC 2009

On 9-Mar-09, at 3:55 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:53:32 -0500
> Michael Favia <michael at favias.org> wrote:
>
>> and get to work (myself included). If you don't know how and want
>> to learn how just ask in channel and I'll be happy to help you
>> personally. -mf
>
> I'd like to know how.
> I've tons of questions that will make my work better, faster and
> more drupal friendly.
>
> I'm coding and I would like to be able to just concentrate on coding.
> But I'm not coding in the hyperuranium, we are coding for a project
> in a community.
>
> Is really IRC the best place where to share this knowledge?
>
> I just guess there are thousands way to get more productive in the
> "drupal environment".
>
> I'm still catching up while I'm making my mammoth module ready for
> public consumption. It finally saw the light 3-4 weeks ago (in
> production on 2 websites) but for a long series of reasons it's not
> ready for public consumption and I'm scared there are so many things
> to clean up to make it of "general" use that I won't be able to catch
> up with the community changes once put it in public consumption.
>
> One thing is writing your own stuff for your own itch, one thing is
> being productive inside a community project.
>
> I've been lucky enough I ran in very few problems in drupal code.
> I'm on the old stable and I reported the few glitches I came across
> sometimes with snippet of code.
>
> Other than IRC is there a place where to learn how to set up a
> development and testing environment?

The http://drupal.org/getting-involved section of the handbook has
most of the information centralized. I would suggest reading through
the "Contribute code" subsection (http://drupal.org/node/10259) and
either editing pages directly or creating issues in the Documentation
queue for places where things are unclear.

-Angie