[development] Consolidating duplicate contrib modules for D7

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Mon Nov 30 19:44:58 UTC 2009

I know the whole 'duplication in contrib' issue has been discussed to
death on this list, so I will try to keep this short.

Obviously, the duplication in contrib is something we are working hard
as a community to avoid. Nevertheless, in some cases, duplication has
still crept in, and this leads to a poorer user experience, and user
confusion.

One prime example is the node access modules, which all perform nearly
identical functions with more or less polish:

Node Access: http://drupal.org/project/node_access
Nodeaccess: http://drupal.org/project/nodeaccess
Content Access: http://drupal.org/project/content_access

Now, is there anything we as a community can do to clean up this sort of
issue in contrib? I realize that in individual cases, the best policy is
to post in the issue queues for the individual projects, but on a larger
scale, is it worth starting something along the lines of #D7CX to
consolidate the dupes in the name of a better user experience?