[development] Module compatibility/interoperability problem

Eric Schaefer eric.schaefer at eas-consulting.de
Fri Oct 16 18:50:41 UTC 2009

2009/10/16 Brian Vuyk <brian at brianvuyk.com>:
> First things first, have you created issues in the issue queues for these
> two modules? Chances are, the module maintainers will never see this post.

Well I could but it is actually a strange situation. It is neither
Multisteps, nor Date Popups nor Schedulers fault. Nobody is doing
something wrong. The reason for this problem is that all three modules
need to do something "smart". Date Popup pretends its only one field
while its actually two, Multistep manipulates the form handling and
Scheduler assumes there is only one field. Either module could do
something to prevent the problem but not without "knowing" about the
other modules. Scheduler could check if the field contains a string or
an array (which would be the easiest fix). But if Date Popup changes
the implementation that is normally hidden behind the virtual single
field or if Multistep does something different to hide fields that are
not part of the current step, scheduler would have to change too. That
would be pretty ugly.

I am asking this question in the mailing list, because I know you are
alle much smarter than I am and maybe someone know how to escape the
dilemma.

Regards,
Eric