[development] re CVS requirements

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 28 18:25:14 UTC 2009

I actually did some thinking about this stuff the other night and
figured I would just throw this idea out there. What if a system was
developed that monitored modules based upon the issue queue activity and
usage statistics. A formula is derived to determine when a module seems
to be abandoned. Once that criteria is met there is a notice on the
module's page that the module is not currently maintained, maybe even
with a link to a form or something "if you are interested in maintaining
this module, click here".

A reporting mechanism could also be devised for modules that have gone
so long without a maintainer, then someone with the proper permissions
could evaluate the need and usage of that module as well as the
condition of the issue queue and make a determination if it should just
be removed or not.

Basically what this could do is make new module submissions more
lenient. If John Doe comes up with a module and decides to include it on
DO then he can get his account and add it. If 6 months down the road the
issue queue has X number of open issues and John Doe hasn't even touched
any of them then the module can be marked as "needs maintainer". Another
6 months down the road if there is no maintainer, nothing being fixed in
the issue queue and the usage of that module is near 0 then one of the
higher powers can go ahead and just remove it from DO.

IMHO this would also help encourage more to help maintain modules. Right
now the module's page is either edited to say it needs a maintainer or
the current maintainer emails the mailing lists looking for someone. If
there was an alert on the module designed so that it really stands out,
then that might encourage Visitor X, who happens to need that module, to
say "hey this could be my chance to give back a little". There could
even be a list of unmaintained modules people could easily look at and
see if they wanted to pick up anything.

Like I said, I was just throwing this idea around in my mind and thought
I would share it with everyone to see what they think.

Jamie Holly