[development] Why I don't Upload a Module to Drupal

Bryan Ollendyke bto108 at psu.edu
Mon Sep 14 02:39:40 UTC 2009

This is also a complaint running about developing for a project that has
100's of thousands of hours put in by a completely distributed group of
people.  Think of the amount of time the core group has put in over the
years to get it where it is now that all of us can download it and have it
up.  8 years of work and learning from those experiences for us all to snap
up and build on the shoulders of giants in a few clicks.  I always think of
it in those terms and then me giving away 100 hours (about 400 in the last
two projects :p) doesn't seem as big a deal.  I do share a similar short
fuse when it comes to requests on that code.  I think at the very least
getting your code out there helps everyone, improves your visibility (which
helps you) and isn't going to do anyone else any good sitting locked up in
the basement as a custom made, unpublished module.  I buy in too much to the
culture of free though I guess :p

btopro