[development] 'old' core 6 & new 7, working together..?

Susan Stewart hedgemage at binaryredneck.net
Sun Jan 3 21:47:35 UTC 2010

Ad,

Someone suggests this every time a new version of Drupal comes out --
always someone who, like yourself, is not a programmer and has no idea
what such a thing entails.  Get to know Drupal and its code a little
better, and read http://drupal.org/node/65922 which explains why we
don't cripple Drupal in the name of backwards compatibility, or worse,
create some sort of kludgy compatibility layer to hold it down.

If a module has sufficient interest, it will be upgraded quickly to the
next version of Drupal.  Anyone can do it with an investment of time and
programming skills, or of dollars.  You can visit
http://drupal.org/project/modules?solrsort=sort_title%20asc&text=d7cx to
see a list of contrib modules that have promised to have a D7 compatible
release on the day D7 is released.

I know that for non-programmers and those not familiar with Drupal, this
all seems strange, but that first link I gave you is a great explanation
of why it is part of the core Drupal philosophy.

Susan

--
"We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others, the same word may mean for some men to do as they please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name - liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible names - liberty and tyranny."
--Abraham Lincoln