[development] hijack node submit/preview to process ajax call first?

Aaron Winborn winborn at advomatic.com
Tue Nov 16 18:48:43 UTC 2010

I'm creating an HTML5 canvas editor for a filefield widget, which
uploads a canvas image, returning an FID to be stored in a textfield.
Everything works, except that now I want to delay node submission until
the canvas has a chance to save its work (assuming its associated 'Save'
button hasn't yet been clicked).

I'm mostly there, thanks to some help from merlinofchaos. Currently, I
save the work and return false on the submit/preview click, and
trigger('submit') after the ajax call to save the canvas. However, it's
not quite working -- the canvas saves properly, storing the new fid in
the field, but the form is reloaded, rather than processing.

http://drupalbin.com/16680

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron