[development] Custom Handlers for Views 2

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Sun Nov 21 18:34:45 UTC 2010

On 11/21/2010 7:36 AM, jeff at ayendesigns.com wrote:
> Yes, you're right. I was being unrealistically optimistic stating that I
> was doing something vanilla, even more so because I am altering the
> field configuration form, though that is the rendering manipulation
> part, and it's really the pre-rendering part I've been having trouble
> with (i.e. getting my hands on the field).
>
> At first I looked at it as being vanilla, because it's simply a text
> field added to a content type. What you state so clearly below was
> actually somewhat of a leap for me. I mistakenly thought that CCK now
> being in core meant that a fielded entity field would be somehow more
> 'native' in terms of accessing it.
>
> Of course, that doesn't leave a whole lot of node fields that accept
> hold content that are NOT abstractions. Title may be the only one...even
> Body is now an entity field if I'm not mistaken.

This is an interesting side effect of field API, and you're right. It
will be more difficult to make what used to be simple changes. You are
blazing new territory with this, and what you are doing may be an
uncommon but important need for advanced Views users. Please be sure to
write up what you have discovered so that we can document this and
hopefully the next person to do it doesn't have to spend weeks figuring
out the levels of abstraction to make deep modifications to field api
fields.