[development] Is it not possible to have fields associated to entities that do not have bundles?

Mukesh Agarwal mukesh.agarwal17 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:26:02 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

Entities seem to be the biggest problem of my life for the past few weeks
:-)

Ok, so I have an entity without any bundles. I read this in
hook_entity_info<http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/modules--system--system.api.php/function/hook_entity_info/7>that
bundles are not necessary.

This entry can be omitted if this entity type exposes a single bundle (all
> entities have the same collection of fields). The name of this single
> bundle will be the same as the entity type.

Now, I need to attach fields to my entity. I use
field_create_field<http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/modules--field--field.crud.inc/function/field_create_field/7>for
my entity reference field which seems to work fine. When I attach this
field to my instance using
field_create_instance<http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/modules--field--field.crud.inc/function/field_create_instance/7>,
I see an error saying:

drupal FieldException: Attempt to create an instance of field without a
> bundle

Does this mean I cannot attach fields to entities which do not have
bundles?

--
Cheers,
Mukesh Agarwal