[development] Drupal Answers: A Stackoverflow/StackExchange site proposal

Ronald Ashri ronald at istos.it
Tue Feb 1 09:24:59 UTC 2011

For the purposes of this and other similar discussions and in order to
help focusing on specific issues we should perhaps split the issues
into two questions:

1, Is their a need for d.o. to update its own user support mechanisms
in order to make it easier for people to ask questions and receive
answers?

 - Looks to me that there is such a need and it seems that people are
already planning to work on this - it depends, as ever, on how many
are willing to commit how much time to get it done.

A related question is:

Can d.o. afford to allow outside organizations take the lead role in
this or should it ensure that d.o. remains the main port of call for
support?

 - This is were the waters get muddier. Some are willing to leave an
outside org "win" the battle, others are not that happy about this.
The results depend (again!) on how many are willing to spend time to
make d.o. better so see question above.

What I would say is that if the outside effort has a valid and proved
model like the StackExchange one we can choose not to directly support
them but I don't think it helps the image of the Drupal community if
we show up and say "You should not be doing this".

ronald.