[development] Drupal Answers: A Stackoverflow/StackExchange site proposal

Kyle Mathews mathews.kyle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:18:17 UTC 2011

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:38 PM, larry at garfieldtech.com <
> larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
>
>> Uh, Victor, you are aware that Wikipedia has a "team" of editors who
>> correct, prune, and curate content far more actively than anyone on
>> Drupal.org, right?
>>

> Well, that is a relatively recent development, isn't it? Their initial
> success at least was due to crowdsourcing, wasn't it? Can you prove they are
> doing better as a result?
>
> Victor

No it's always been like that since the beginning. But to say we only need
one or the other is a false dichotomy. You need people who produce lots of
content and people who can take the rough ideas and shape them into
something coherent. Ideally perhaps everyone could do best but the pattern
that emerges everywhere (publishing world, open source development, online
wikipedias, etc) is that there's many producers who produce the bulk of the
stuff with varying levels of quality and quantity and editors that give
order and consistency to the whole.