[development] Drupal Answers: A Stackoverflow/StackExchange site proposal

Blake Senftner bsenftner at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 19:40:57 UTC 2011

Something I've not seen in these discussions is the api.drupal.org site.
Simply comparing at a high level api.drupal.org & someplace like php.net:

api.drupal.org: each page has the routine source, number of times used by core, & comments that are rarely used.
php.net: a description of the usage, inputs & outputs of a routine, 'commentary' about the routine, and verbose community comments of varying quality.

Granted, php.net has its own issues, but at least it is useful. I never have php questions longer than it takes to look up the issue there. On the other hand, api.drupal.org is only useful to core developers. What about everyone else? Fixing that would go a long way towards making our documentation issues better. I advocate these forum solutions being proposed include rolling out the same ranking comment system for api.drupal.org.

Sincerely,
-Blake
bsenftner at earthlink.net
www.BlakeSenftner.com