[development] Drupal Answers: A Stackoverflow/StackExchange site proposal

Josh Koenig josh at getpantheon.com
Tue Feb 1 19:25:07 UTC 2011

I like the shape this discussion is taking. As few things:

1) I don't think the StackExchange model is really about "Support." It's
about "Answers." There's a non-trivial difference. While answers are
helpful, as are documentation, "support" is about getting specific help for
your specific problem. That's almost always got an ongoing human component
to it.

2) I would really love to see the Forums improve as well! There's a huge
value in that use-case, even if it's not something that core developers use
a lot. They're popular! :)

3) No comment on how we govern the documentation process, but maybe the
mission of d.o in this context should be re-thought? The most definitive and
up to date documentation we have is embedded in the code and exposed via
api.d.o. The handbooks have a lot of stuff, but much of it lacks the same
quality. There's also an enormous amount of valuable howto and faq material
"out there" on other places in the internet.

If the handbook were to re-tune the quality/quantity ratio, and focus more
on documenting the common use-cases and settled questions (as well as the
experience of first-timers) it could end up providing more value....