[development] Workflow: staging server, source control, and the files directory

Andy Fowlston andy at pedalo.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 16:00:15 UTC 2011

Thanks Brian, Wesley, Laura. Replies below.

Brian wrote:
> On a tangential note, I am not sure I would consider it 'best practice'
> to keep a database dump in the repository

Agreed, this is only until we're all capable of putting everything in code (it's a relatively new workflow process for us).

> DB dumps are not incrementally updated, so it can't be stored
> efficiently (ie, a delta between revisions usually isn't smaller than
> the entire dump).

Using drush to give neat output and ignore cache tables actually means that a diff is (just about) understandable. Not fun though, and definitely not the way forwards.

> We have regular backups of the staging server being made,
> while at the same time, those of us with local environments just
> download updated DB exports as necessary to grab the latest config.

From a db point of view this sounds very similar to what we do. Could you elaborate on how you keep the files in sync?

Wesley wrote:
> Why not use drush with site aliases?
> http://drupal.org/node/670460

I love it! Well I've only skimmed it, but it looks perfect thanks!

Laura wrote:
> you should exclude imagecache (aka "image" module in D7) renderings from source control

Thanks, that's already set up:)

> having broken images in your local instance is not deadly, in my experience.

Yeah, maybe I'm overthinking this bit:)

Thanks all,

Andy

Andy Fowlston
+44 (0)20 8747 5068
andy at pedalo.co.uk
Skype: andy.pedalo
www.pedalo.co.uk

This email is intended only for the above named addressee/s. This email may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have received this email and you are not a named addressee, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the email or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this email in error, please email the sender by replying to this message and delete it from your system. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this email.

pedalo limited cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments and recommends that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and not necessarily those of Pedalo Limited