[development] Workflow: staging server, source control, and the files directory

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Fri Feb 18 16:09:32 UTC 2011

On 11-02-18 11:00 AM, Andy Fowlston wrote:
>> We have regular backups of the staging server being made,
>> while at the same time, those of us with local environments just
>> download updated DB exports as necessary to grab the latest config.
>  From a db point of view this sounds very similar to what we do. Could you elaborate on how you keep the files in sync?
Keep which files? The database exports?

We look at it this way - staging is the canonical database. All config
is done on staging, never in the developer-specific local environments.
In this scenario, there is no need to keep database dumps 'in sync' - as
soon as you grab a new dump from staging, you are up to date. We keep
full backups of the staging db in case something goes wrong, but we
don't keep database files in any sort of version control for the
purposes of having a synced dump.

Brian