[development] How do I update Drupal7's file list ?

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Mon Jan 24 18:47:20 UTC 2011

> Using the autoloader protects you from WSOD should the ancestor class
> move to a new file, because it will not attempt to set up the classes
> the moment the module is enabled in the bootstrap.

This is not true, actually it's the exact opposite - which happens to be the
topic of this thread.

Try moving around modules and files in D7.  Try early alpha versions of
Entity module and update to later ones.

Just try it.  And see how Drupal blows up and leaves you with an almost
unrecoverable state.

The root of this problem is that Drupal requires a full bootstrap to flush
all caches and/or to rebuild the class registry.  However, a full bootstrap
means that all .module files are loaded.  Loading all .module files may
contain classes already:

class Foo extends Bar {
}

In case Bar was previously contained in
sites/all/modules/bar/includes/controller.inc and now got moved into
sites/all/modules/bar/bar.controller.inc, PHP is unable to find/autoload
Bar, so you get a fatal error upon the class definition of Foo.

Once you manually resolved the class registry problem, you still won't be
able to bootstrap, due to http://drupal.org/node/996236

sun