[development] Proposal: Move all dev support off this list to new StackExchange site

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Fri Mar 18 15:53:10 UTC 2011

I agree with Angie, Cameron, and Karen.  Just like we have
#drupal-contribute, we could also need a clearly separated mailing list for
all topics focusing on Drupal contributions.  That is, regardless of whether
core or contrib, or code or usability.

The separation in IRC has proven to be a good idea, as far as I can tell.
However, IRC is limited to instant communication and only visible for users
currently online.  It's also unsuitable for larger meta discussions that
can't be squeezed into three sentences.  And while d.o issues are somewhat
more suitable for discussions, they're usually focused on direct, actionable
goals targeting a concrete outcome or result.  However, obviously the
biggest difference to a mailing list is that you have to know about the meta
issue on d.o in the first place, and be +1 subscribed to it in particular,
or you otherwise miss it.  Due to that, I've missed a lot of highly
interesting and important discussions during the D7 dev cycle already.

I'd love to have a dedicated "contribute" list (back), focusing on arbitrary
but in-depth topics concerning Drupal contributors.  And as Karen mentioned,
such a list could very well lead to much more solid Drupal core initiatives.

So a huge +1 on this direction.

sun